Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Day 34: National Holidays

I did not spend the day honoring former presidents. I'm not sure if that's what you are supposed to do on President's Day or not. I know that on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, you are supposed to volunteer or help humanity in some way. And on the 4th of July we barbecue and shoot off fireworks and on Labor Day, we do the same. I guess my point is that I'm not sure the original intention of these national holidays has been maintained over the years and that, for me, they mostly just guarantee that I get a day off once a month. I'm pretty sure that unless you are in elementary school, learning about the reasons for those days off that most of us are not in touch with the purpose nor are we fulfilling it.

There are many who believe that we don't have enough national holidays. Many more people argue that there are people who have changed the world who deserve their own day. Some people think we should eliminate some national holidays or rename that. Even I've though that. But if we had a national holiday for every person or group of people who deserved it, we need more days in the year.

So maybe we should just re-evaluate a little. Take the day off for the reason initially intended or use the time to volunteer or do something that makes it worthwhile. Or worth more than just sleeping in.

No comments:

Post a Comment