Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day 18: Turning Home

One of my favorite country artists these days is David Nail. He's a hometown kid of sorts. He grew up in Missouri. I was first introduced to his music by Tony LaRussa while I worked an event for the Animal Rescue Foundation. 

Two things draw me to certain music. First, there's a certain quality in a person's voice that attracts me. It's not always the same quality. It's just something in they way they project the music that moves me emotionally in one way or another. Second, the lyrics have to make sense to me. You know when you hear a song and you say out loud or you feel deep within you that you agree or you get it? Or you feel like they must have gotten in your head somehow or seen a video of your life? That's what hooks me.

Today, I spent some time with college friends and it's always such a good time when we get together. We talked briefly about how different our school is today compared to "back in the day" when we were there. We took a couple of very quick trips down memory lane. And, maybe it's this getting older thing but, every time we are together I feel more nostalgic and a little more sentimental.

David Nail has some new music coming out this week. But for now here's his song TURNING HOME. The lyrics say " And I don't know no friends like the old friends. I never seem to laugh now like I did with them. But deep inside me, a piece of my history. Yeah, I hear their voices even though they're gone. And it keeps me turning home."

We made a lot of history in our time at Webster U. There were a lot of firsts for all of us. We've got a lot more stories than anyone ever read about in the Journal. And it's not the same place it was when we were there. I'm sure it's better in some ways. But there will never be anything like the good old days again.


No comments:

Post a Comment