Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 13: Mistakes

Yesterday, Susan Sarandon said on Oprah that if she could give her 20-year-old self one piece of advice it would be that it's ok to make mistakes. She said that making mistakes is the most fun part of life. I don't know if I would call all of my mistakes fun but I do know that out of every situation that I "got myself into" came a lesson. And with the exception of one area of my life, I have taken those lessons to heart and strived to prevent history from repeating itself.

That said, I think if I could give my 20-year-old self any one piece of advice it would be about mistakes too. But I would say something more like this:

"You are going to make more mistakes in the next 10 years than you have up to this point. And they are going to be big. Those mistakes are going to affect, not only you, but also the people around you. Be sure to say you're sorry to them. But know that many of them will never forgive you. Don't let that keep you from forgiving yourself. Don't let their disappointment keep you from picking yourself up and dusting yourself off. And don't think that you're alone in all of it. Nobody in the world is the only one that something happens to."

No comments:

Post a Comment