Friday, February 11, 2011

Day 22: Silky Smooth. Or Not.

note: Day 22 is Wednesday, February 9th.

I've stopped shaving my legs.

Perhaps some people, like me, are too open and honest on the internet. And maybe we shouldn't tell our readers everything about everything. Maybe I shouldn't talk about my monthly lady time. And perhaps I shouldn't reveal that I've stopped shaving my legs. But it's too late so we should probably talk about it.

I've stopped shaving my legs.

I don't remember the first time I shaved them but I do remember reaching an age when I became very anxious about the whole experience. When would it be time to start shaving them? Was everyone else already shaving theirs? I worried. I didn't want to get left behind. What I didn't realize and what every woman around me failed to mention was that once I started shaving my legs, there would be no end in sight. It would be a task repeated almost daily for many years with the purpose of creating silky smooth legs that, for most of my life, NOBODY ELSE WOULD TOUCH.

At 18 years old and less than three minutes into my first volleyball game of my college career, I blew out my knee. My team was playing in a tournament in Tennessee at the time and as I waited for the ambulance to arrive and cart me off to the hospital, players from other teams around the country hovered around me to talk to me and keep my mind off of the pain. Finally, a fire truck pulled up and one of the girls leaned into my ear and said, "You should see the hot fireman coming over here." Instantly I laughed and cried at the same time, "I didn't shaved my legs!" Of course, hottie firefighter strolled up, took of his helmet and immediately began examining my knee. With his hands...

So, while I believe that if you are prepared for anything, anything can happen, everyone else always says that it's when you're not looking that the love of your life shows up. So, I'm not going to jinx myself. And I'm not looking. To prove it, I've fired my razor and benched the shaving cream. And I've stopped shaving my legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment