Sunday, February 20, 2011

Day 32: A Day at the Salon

When I was a little girl, my mom spent Saturday mornings at the beauty shop. The 4-station shop would be filled every week with the same women who had standing appointments with their stylists. I can still smell the perm solution in the air. and hear the ladies laughing. It was a day out. A day made for socializing, not just getting your hair set.

 In the back room, a box filled with donuts sat the counter. Every week, I grabbed either french donut with vanilla icing or a chocolate covered long john. While my mom had her hair washed and rolled and teased out into her bouffant, I would sit under a dryer and read books or play with my dolls. Every once in a while, my sister and I would get our hair cut and rolled too. It felt like such a treat.

Yesterday, I visited my wonderful hair stylist Jamie. The place was buzzing with Saturday clients. Nearly every seat was filled. Chatter danced in the air below the sound of blaring blow dryers. It was so reminiscent of the old days when ladies gathered every weekend to catch up on the neighborhood gossip and get pretty for the week ahead. The face-to-face catching up and the human contact so often gets replaced these days by social media. God knows I love my facebook and tumblr and twitter and all that other stuff but... It reminded me that I must take time out for the little things that make you feel more in touch with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment