Friday, January 28, 2011

Day 9: Let Him Fly

Dear every guy I've ever dated,

I'm writing you to say good-bye. For some of you, it's been a while since we've spoken. So this might seem a little silly. But I think it's time to end our relationships for good, permanently, without looking back or wondering if you'll ever change or if maybe our timing was just bad and if you'll just show back up again some day. It's time to say good-bye. Not farewell or see you later or until we meet again but... good-bye.

I have an ex who once said, "exes are exes for a reason" and I always thought that was ridiculous. I mean, even though you are no longer dating a guy or in a relationship with him, he still has some redeeming qualities. You might not love him but you had to at least like him at some point so you could be friends with him, right? Wrong. My ex, who is most definitely an ex for a reason and who was rarely right, had nailed this theory (& many other women while we were together). He was right on.

We experienced the unforgettable at times. You told me that you thought I was pretty and it was the first time I heard it from anyone other than my parents. What an enchanting moment! That first kiss was delightful. There's nothing like being kissed by someone you think is so dreamy. The butterflies feel like they will burst up from your belly and fly out of your mouth! I may have pulled the wilting pedals off the flowers you sent me but I did it so I could save them and preserve the beautiful scent forever. Drives in the rain, watching planes take off, stargazing... All unforgettable. You helped me grow and figure out who I am. You taught me that I am strong and capable and smart. You showed me that I can do anything I set my mind to and that I don't need to settle for less. Ever again. You taught me that the old saying that "men don't change" is a lie. Men do change. For the right woman... And I clearly wasn't the right woman for you.

And we experience some regrettable times, most of which I'd rather not recap for the masses. (You lyin', cheatin', lazy, broke, unreliable so & so's are lucky this time.) You made me cry at times because I wondered why I couldn't be good enough or sexy enough or patient enough for you. Sometimes I felt like I had to take your crap because I didn't want to be alone. You helped me find the resolve to never let a man lay a hand on me. Ever again. And you led me to the realization that good enough, sexy enough and patient enough are all measures that you never even worry about when you're with the right guy.

So, again, it's time for our final good-bye. It's time for me to let you fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment