Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 2: Life Begins at 40


To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily.  To not dare is to lose oneself. ~Soren Kierkegaard
Rest and relaxation do not come easy to me. Neither does saying "no." But in a moment of true liberation, I realized that what happens in this life, in my life, is really up to me. And sometimes you have to lose your footing in order to hold on to yourself, as Kierkegaard said.

The day I realized that, I quit my job. After careful consideration, I knew that a career change was in order. I decided that I wanted to work in an environment where I felt appreciated, where I could contribute my talents and abilities to work that made a difference in the world and where my boss would not demean and berate me. In an instant, I leapt off the edge into a sea of unemployment and uncertainty.

For the last 12 weeks, I have had to learn to sit back and let life unfold before me. But I am a firm believer that when you take a leap of faith... When you know in your heart of hearts that you need to make a dramatic change in your life... When you are keenly aware that the time is right for taking a risk... Life rewards you. I tell people all the time that you have to GO with that little voice inside you. Most of the time...

Last week, I started to work toward earning my master's degree in teaching communication arts. There have been many days when I've thought I missed my calling as a teacher. Today, I accepted a job offer with a communications firm that basically specializes in public service. My projects will center around the efforts of non-profit organizations and improving the quality of life for many. I hope I have made a change that will be the start of my contribution to making this world a better place to live.

Some people say that 40 is the new 20. Others say life begins at 40. I'll take them both. I'm expecting great things ahead. You should too!

No comments:

Post a Comment