Sunday, January 30, 2011

Day 10: Painting My Own Escape


When I was a kid, I had a pad of paper & a pencil nearby most of the time. I loved to sketch out pictures of my future. I was a dreamer in every sense of the word. As I got older and got a taste of the real world, I stopped sketching but I eventually fell in love with painting. I am not trained. I paint only with acrylics. I can copy design if I am asked but I prefer to paint what I feel or see in my own mind. Most of my painting ends up on children's furniture or some kid's bedroom wall. It is intensely time consuming and I could never make a living from it because I could never charge what it's really worth. And I wouldn't want to because it's my escape from work and other stresses.
My nephew, who is my pride and joy, takes after me in many ways. I know that seems impossible since my sister and I are adopted but it's true. He loves to cook and enjoys painting as well. As often as possible, Kirk & I run off to paint pottery or a lonely, blank canvas that's been sitting in the garage. Sharing this hobby with him brings me ultimate happiness. And his appreciation for the arts, at only eight years old, is admirable.
It's important to have something that you do. Something that you enjoy. It has to be something that allows you time away from work or your kids or your husband. You have to be able to paint your own escape to "me time," to explore your passion and to maintain your sanity. Holding on to something you like to do brings a sense of fulfillment to your life which, in turn, allows you to keep giving to those around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment