Monday, January 24, 2011

Day 4: Holding On

Letting go. I'm not good at it. In fact the only thing I am worse at is saying no. But you reach a point in your life when you wake up and you stop trying to convince yourself that you'd be ok if he'd call or if he'd show up. And you stop waiting on her to like you or to ask you to be her BFF. One day, your happiness and completeness and fulfillment and success and value no longer depends on anyone other than... YOU. But finding your way to the place where holding on transforms to letting go can be a long and painful process.

Shortly after the new year, I performed my annual cell phone cleaning. Scrolling through my contact list, I paused on a name now and again, weighed and measured the relationship & that person's role in my life and then decided whether or not to hit DELETE. It was the most dramatic cell phone wipe that I've ever experienced because I had been holding on to people who had let go of me a long time ago.

Oprah Winfrey once said, "think about any attachments that are depleting your emotional reserves and consider letting them go."

I'd say the same. What is prohibiting your happiness? Who is distracting you from your life's possibilities? What are you doing that is blocking your blessings? Might be time to let go. Start with cleaning out your phone. Get the tough stuff over with first!

No comments:

Post a Comment