Monday, January 17, 2011

Day 1: Quality of Life

Dr. Martin Luther King once said, " The quality, not the longevity, of one's life is what is important." So I decided to start the first of my 40 days 'til 40 with an effort to improve my quality of life.

I've been working out with a trainer for a year. I lost about 25 pounds but I increased my strength and expanded my flexibility immensely. My arthritis no longer runs my life and I can climb a set of stairs without gritting my teeth. My trainer is young and full of energy and she enjoys pushing me. It's been a great year.

But with only 40 days until my 40th birthday I decided to crank it up a notch. My day began with an hour on the bike and an upper body weight-lifting workout, followed by this delicious 280 calorie egg sandwich. That's a bagel thin holding it together. I LOVE them. They are a little sweet and just enough bread to keep this carb lover happy.

My whole life I have struggled with my weight even though I love being active. They say it takes about 3 weeks to change a habit. That's 21 days. I think I have just enough time to change a lifetime of habits before we begin the next 40 years of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment